sexta-feira, 26 de março de 2021
Jeff Terra - Groovin' In The Galaxy (2000)
Jeff Terra
Jeff Terra "Groovin in the Galaxy" Rhode Island based lead guitarist is now leading his own band after leaving his decade-long gig with D.D.&The Road Kings. Jeff is something of a throw back. His Terra-plane is a 1959 Ford Galaxy and his guitar of choice is an old Kay model that would perfectly suite bluesman Jimmy Reed. Not surprisingly his musical interests are also based mostly in sounds from decades past. But what makes Terra standout is his eclectic mix of disparate elements all alchemically mixed into a spicy musical stew. Sometimes I hear Billy Butler playing with Bill Doggett. Then all of a sudden it's as if Roy Buchanon sits in and brings along Santana. Not to mention those whisper-smooth Pee Wee Craytonisms. Mmmm....tasty. Somehow or other by sheer impress of his gentle musical personality these obstinate oils and waters are reconciled and stay reconciled. Another thing I like about Terra is that even when paying six-string homage to heroes like Albert Collins,Buddy Guy or T-Bone Walker he's his own man-playing his own interpretation of the works of those blues giants. Picking out neat little jazzy runs and textured full bodied chords on an ancient acoustic guitar recently,he revealed what's going on in his heart when he straps on the old solidbody. "I just pick songs that I like and that move me,no formula. People seem to get it. I do have to have that blues feeling in every type of music I play. I try to enhance people's lives." Terra's single note runs are succinct and sweet while his rhythm playing is tried-and true. Meanwhile he's accompanied on his new CD by local blues notables such as the late great Louie Camp on saxophone,organist Lonnie Gasperini,drummer Neil Gouvin and pianist Anthony Geraci along with Lar Anderson and Tom Reed all who validate Terra's penchant for swinging instrumentals. Whenever you catch him, you're guaranteed to get a good slice of the blues guaranteed to put a smile on your face.
Tracklist:
01. 601 1-2 North Poplar 03:22
02. Heartbreak 04:27
03. Grooves Blues 06:06
04. Mister Magic 09:46
05. Swooshy 03:16
06. Louie's Jump 06:21
07. The Freeze 06:11
08. Blues for Buddy 11:12
09. Jam 03:23
10. Change for a Life 04:37
Assinar:
Postar comentários (Atom)


I do like the blues music coming out of Rhode Island, with Roomful of Blues and its alumni particularly. This one was not quite up to that standard, but I appreciate the post nonetheless. Thanks.
ResponderExcluirYou're welcome eddie!!
ResponderExcluir